Not your traditional Chinese honey garlic ribs, these deep fried bite-sized ribs are crispy, drizzled with honey and coated in crispy garlic bits.
- 2 lbs of side ribs (spare ribs)
- 3-4 tablespoons honey (for drizzling)
- 1 large bulb garlic – or 2 small bulbs (approximately 20 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 5-6 tablespoons corn starch (to create a batter after marination)
Preparation & Marinating the Ribs
- Peel the garlic and finely mince it. (To save a bit of time, if you have a small food processor, this will work wonders) Set the garlic aside.
- Cut between the bones of the ribs and place it in a large bowl.
- Add all the ingredients from the marinate ingredient list except the corn starch
- Mix well and keep it in the fridge for 2 hours
- After 2 hours, add in the corn starch to coat the ribs, it will create a semi dry coating.
Deep Frying the Garlic and Ribs
- In a high wall pot, add about 2 inches of oil and set the stove to medium heat. If you are using a deep fryer, set the temperature to 350F/177C.
- Once the oil is hot, add in all the garlic. (To test if the oil is hot, add a fit bits of garlic to see if it sizzles)
- Keep stirring the garlic, the garlic closer to the walls of the pot will cook faster and burn faster – to prevent that keep stirring
- Once the garlic is a golden yellow (This will take approximately 5 minutes of cooking.), remove the garlic by pouring it out into a strainer or using a strainer to scoop it out. The garlic will continue to cook and brown. (Reserve the garlicky oil for deep frying the ribs.) Set the crispy garlic aside for later.
Deep Frying the Riblets
- Pour the garlicky oil back into the pot and bring the oil back to temperature on medium heat. (You may need to adjust this to a lower setting depending on how strong your stove is)
- Cook the ribs in batches, careful not to over crowd the pan and cook it for 4-6 minutes. (If the ribs are browning too quickly, lower the heat a notch)
- Once all the ribs are done cooking, set it on some paper towel to absorb some of the grease.
- Drizzle honey on generously and sprinkle some crispy garlic on top
- Serve piping hot or warm! It’s best when it’s is freshly made 🙂
- This recipe will make a lot of crispy garlic bits so there will be extra but that’s a good thing. Save the crispy garlic to top your rice, noodles or soups! This stuff makes everything delicious.