Easy crispy chicken taco made with soft corn tortilla shells stuffed with a flavourful lemongrass chicken with crispy tortilla bits on the inside! Best of both worlds, crispy and soft taco in 1!
Tacos are one of my favourite things to eat and honestly one of the most fun things you can experiment in the kitchen with. The flavours are endless – you could do:
- International flavoured tacos (Asian, Indian, Thai, Mexican, BBQ etc)
- You can do interesting textured tacos (Sauce, crispy, chewy, fruity etc)
- You can do funky tacos (hotdog tacos, hamburger tacos, chocolate tacos, fries and cheese tacos)
- ….and depending on how many toppings you make – it’s fun to entertain with too because your guests can experiment with flavours as well!
I know what you’re thinking, the shells are not crispy! How can that be a crispy taco? That’s because this taco has the best of both worlds! It has the soft corn tortilla with the crispy bits on the inside with the chicken! I find the soft tacos easier to stuff with delicious toppings and easier to eat. So you can have your crispy, less mess flavourful tacos all in 1 go.
For Cinco de Mayo, I have teamed up with a few other food bloggers for this awesome list of recipes to jump start your celebrations:
- Black Bean & Refried Bean Dips – Pickles Travel Blog
- Margarita Tart with Tortilla Chip Crust – Flour Arrangements
- DIY Guacamole Bar – Cheap Recipe Blog
- Fiesta Brown Rice Salad – The Honour System
All ingredients should be available at your local grocery store, although lemongrass might be a trickier item to find. You can usually find it in an specialty grocery store or Asian grocery store.
Lemongrass can be used fresh or pre-ground frozen. If you are using the fresh lemongrass, use only the bottom of the lemongrass stalk and not the dry tops. The oils and flavours are dried up at the top and will not give you much flavour, however the bottoms are still packed with the lemongrass oils. 🙂
For this recipe, I used dark meat chicken. I prefer to buy bone-in chicken and debone it myself since this is much cheaper and you can use the chicken bones for a chicken broth later down the road! (Just freeze the bones for when you are ready to use it!)
For simplicity and an easier recipe with less mess, you can buy deboned chicken as well. Adjust the cooking time if you are cooking the chicken with the bone-in.
For tortillas, we found that corn tortilla was the most flavourful and was best when lightly toasted on the stove, however you can go with your favourite brand or type of tortillas and it will be just as good.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER
This one is a simple recipe. Huzzah for simplicity with flavour!
- Chop the garlic and lemongrass (use the bottom of the stalk only).
- Finely chop the green onions and set it aside for the end.
- Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic and chopped lemongrass for a few hours
- In a large skillet pan, set the heat to medium heat. Starting skin side down first, sear the chicken for 3-4 minutes a side. To get the brown skin, leave it untouched skin side down for a few minutes. (If you are using boned chicken, you will need to cook the chicken longer)
- Once the chicken is done, transfer it to a cutting board and place some tortilla chips on top of the chicken and chop it up together
- Ta-da! Add it to your tacos! …or be weird like me and eat it on top of rice! haha 🙂
TOPPINGS TOPPINGS & MORE TOPPINGS!
Let’s be honest, one of the best part of tacos are the fun toppings. Switch it up and you got yourself different flavours every bite!
Here are a few ideas of toppings we love to use:
- Simple Lime pickled red onions (Slice up a red onion, add lemon juice to it and let it sit and macerate until soft)
- Cheeses! Lots of different cheeses! We found feta amazing on tacos! If you want to go the traditional route you can also look for cojita cheese, which is similar to feta so if you can’t find it you can easily substitute it.
- Sour cream. You cannot forget this lovely stuff.
- Chives and green onions. There’s something seriously flavourful and fresh about adding them in
- Guacamole! Try our ‘Toasted Sesame Guacamole‘ recipe out or use the quick and dirty version listed there too!
- Most importantly Salsa. All tacos need an element of sour and salsa does it with flavour. We have a ‘Sweet & Spicy Pineapple Salsa‘ recipe that pairs really well with anything! Or be creative and create your own unique fruit salsa! 🙂
- Freshly squeezed lime juice. It’s a simple ingredient that will do magic to your tacos.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- 6 chicken thighs (deboned)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 soft corn tortilla
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 stalks green onion
- 1-2 stalks lemongrass (approx. 2 1/2-3 tbsp) finely chopped
- 10 tortilla chips
Finely chop the garlic and lemongrass (use the bottom half of the stalk only, if you are using fresh lemongrass)
Finely chop green onions and set aside for garnishing at the end
Marinate the chicken with the garlic, soy, lemongrass, balsamic vinegar for 2-3 hours
In a large skillet, add some oil and set the heat to medium heat
Starting skin side down first, sear the chicken for 3-4 minutes a side. To get the brown skin, leave it untouched skin side down for a few minutes. (If you are using boned chicken, you will need to cook the chicken longer)
Once the chicken is done, transfer it to a cutting board and place some tortilla chips on top of the chicken and chop it up together
Add in the green onions
Add to tacos with toppings and enjoy! 🙂