These Mini Buttery Coconut Mochi Cakes are sweetened with condensed milk & are crispy on the outside & chewy on the inside with hints of vanilla & coconut.
- Melt the butter and coconut cream, and combine it with the condensed milk and vanilla
- Add in the eggs 1 at a time while whisking.
- Add in the baking powder and mochiko flour and continue to mix
- Slowly add in the milk and mix until the batter is smooth. You want to achieve a pancake batter consistency. Run your finger through the batter on a back of a spoon and if it keeps it’s shape and it’s not too runny or thick then you’re good.
- [Optional] Let the batter rest for 15 to 20 minutes, this seems to give the cake a chewier and crispier texture.
- Set the oven to 350F (176C)
- Butter the muffin tin liberally and fill them with 3/4 inch of batter (approximately 1/3 cup)
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (until golden brown) on the middle rack in the oven. At the 45 minute mark, check to see if they are golden brown.
- Let them cool for 5-10 minutes to form it’s crispiness and enjoy! 🙂
- Try to find a high fat content coconut milk if you are substituting it for the coconut cream.
- These keep very well in a well sealed container. To crisp them up again, pop them in the oven at 350F (177C) for about 15 minutes and they will taste even better than the first day you baked them. Day old butter mochi has an even chewier and more dense texture.
- Make sure the eggs and milk are room temperature, this gives the cake a better texture.