A twist on Mac and Cheese, this cheese ramen recipe uses real cheddar cheese, a pack of instant noodles and a super simple way to thicken up milk to create a creamy, indulgent cheese ramen. Perfect for days when you want a small portion of something creamy, comforting and quick to make.
Corn Starch Slurry (Thickener)
- 2 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoon water (cold)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon butter (salted)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated and packed into 1/2 cup)
- 1 package instant noodles (soup packets removed)
- Combine the corn starch with cold water in a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Grate the cheese and set aside for later.
Making the Cheese Sauce
- Add milk, butter, soy sauce and spices (optional) into a pot, and give it a quick stir and set the stove to medium low heat.
- Once the butter melts and the milk has come to a low rolling boil (approximately 3-5 minutes), stir the corn starch slurry you made earlier (the starch settles to the bottom of the bowl), add the corn starch slurry into the pot.
- Keep stirring until the milk has thickened.
- Once the milk has thickened and it starts to bubble, turn off the heat and add in the cheese and stir until the cheese has melted and combined well with the creamy milk.
- Pour the cheese, into your serving bowl and set aside.
Making the Noodles & Putting it Together
- Give the pot a quick rinse with hot water to remove the cheese sauce and refill it with water to cook the instant noodles. (Subtract 1 to 1 and a half minutes from the instant noodle cooking instructions for a chewier noodle)
- Once the noodles are done, fully drain the water out (reserve 1-2 tablespoons of water and set aside for the end so you can tweak how creamy you want the cheese sauce)
- Add the noodles on top of the cheese sauce in the serving bowl and mix well.
- If you prefer the cheese sauce is a little thinner, start by adding 1 tablespoon of the reserved water to thin it out a little. Add more water to thin it out even more.
- Top with garnishes and toppings and enjoy it while it’s hot! 🙂
- I like to use instant noodles with a thicker noodle. I find it has a chewier texture and it’s a bit harder to overcook. When shopping for them, they are usually the instant noodles made in Korea.
- If you like a runnier sauce, reserve 1-2 tablespoons of the instant noodle water when you are draining the noodles. Only add the reserved hot water, after you have mixed the noodles into the cheese sauce and you feel the sauce is too thick.
- Do not use the soup packet for this recipe. It will make the noodles super salty. Save the soup packet for something else (like popcorn or meat marinade!)
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 738
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1100 mg
- Fat: 40 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 26 g
Keywords: cheese ramen recipe