Crispy chicken pakoras made with besan (chickpea flour) and packed with spices that deliver a medley of flavours that takes fried chicken to another level!
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1/2 lemon (juiced, approximately 2-3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust up if you want it more spicy)
- 20 curry leaves (chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Chick Pea Batter
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons potato starch (or corn starch)
- 1 cup chick pea flour (besan flour)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoon water
Chicken Pakoras – Preparation
- Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and put it in a large bowl
- Slice up the onions and add it to the bowl
- Add in the cumin, garam masala, tumeric, chopped curry leaves, garlic and ginger into the bowl
- Add the lemon juice and fish sauce into the bowl
- Mix well and marinate in the fridge for 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
Chicken Pakoras – Deep Frying
- When you are ready to start cooking the chicken, add in the egg, corn starch, chick pea flour and water into the bowl with the chicken (including the marinade and sliced onions) and mix until the batter is a thick consistency. You want the batter to stick to the chicken and onions. If the batter is too runny- add some more chick pea flour 1 tablespoon at a time, if the batter is too thick and hard to mix – add in water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Pre-heat oil to 350F (176C). If you are doing it on a stove-top, and don’t have a thermometer, it is approximately medium heat (stove top powers vary, adjust accordingly)
- Add in the chicken mixture into the oil gently, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, careful to not overcrowd else it will drop the temperature of the oil. (Note: Try to refrain from making too big of a spoonful of chicken. I use a 1/4 cup to measure out the chicken. If your pakoras are too big the middle will not cook through and the outside will come out burnt.)
- Cook for approximately 8 minutes.
- Enjoy fresh with the coconut dip! 🙂
- Combine all ingredients together and enjoy with pakoras!
- (Optional) Adding 1/2 tsp of onion seeds adds a bit more spice and flavour to the dip.
- Dark meat yields a juicier and flavourful pakora
- The batter should be thick and should stick to the chicken and onions. If it is too runny, add more chickpea flour, if it is too thick and hard to mix then add water 1 tablespoon at a time
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of water or milk to adjust how thick you like the dipping sauce
- Add additional dried unsweetened shredded coconut to give the dip a bit more texture and thicken it up
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 614 kcal
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 1213 mg
- Fat: 27 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Protein: 53 g
Keywords: chicken pakoras, besan, deep fried