A Chinese tomato and egg stir fry recipe with a sweet & savory sauce made with fresh tomatoes and fluffy scrambled eggs – this is the ultimate Asian comfort food.
- 3–4 large tomatoes
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1–2 stalks green onions
- 3–4 large slices ginger
- Wash the tomatoes and chop them into bite sized chunks and set aside
- Slice the onion and ginger and set aside
- Cut the green onions 2 inches lengthwise and then cut them again lengthwise thinly and set aside
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients under the ‘Tomato Sauce’ ingredient list and set aside
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and the seasoning under ‘Scrambled Eggs’ ingredient list and set aside
Scrambling the Eggs
- Set the stove to medium to medium low heat and add a little bit oil into a frying pan and wait until it is slightly smoking
- When the pan is hot, add in the egg mixture. The eggs will start to bubble on the edges and start to set. Once egg starts to set around the edges, use a utensil to push the 4 corners into the center, then tilt the the pan slightly so the remaining raw egg runs to the edge of the pan and push the corners into the center again. Do this a few times until it is cooked but try not to over cook the eggs.
- You won’t get broken up pieces of scrambled egg with this method but instead a big mound of fluffy cooked eggs. Break up the egg into bit sized chunks and set it aside on a plate for later
Putting It Together
- Set the stove to medium heat, and add a bit more oil into the pan
- Once the oil is hot, add in the ginger and toast it a bit so that it turns slight brown. This way the ginger flavor comes out into the oil. (approximately 1-2 minutes)
- When the ginger is brown, add in the onions and cook it until it is soft and translucent.
- Once the onions are soft, add in the chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce and cook it for 5-6 minutes. (Be careful if the oil is hot, the tomatoes might sizzle and splash a bit when you add it to the oil) You want to cook the tomatoes slightly so they are soft and some of the tomato juices are released into the sauce. Try not to overcook the tomatoes too much so there are still chunks of it to eat.
- Do a taste test. Tomatoes have different acidity depending on what type you use. If the sauce is too sour, add an additional 1/2 tablespoon of honey/sugar and taste it again. Adjust it until it is to your prefered sweetness.
- Once it is done, turn off the heat and add the scrambled eggs and green onions and mix together with the sauce until the eggs are well coated with the sauce.
- Remove the ginger slices before serving
- Enjoy with a bowl of rice! 🙂
- QUICKER VERSION : If you are pressed for time, you can alter this recipe to be more traditional and use ketchup. If you use ketchup, remove the tomato paste, white vinegar and honey from the recipe and replace it with 1/2 cup of ketchup instead.
- My rule of thumb for tomato to egg ratios is: For ever 1 large tomato you use, use one egg.
- For this recipe, you can use any type of tomatoes. We like to use baby tomatoes because we find that they are usually sweeter and more flavorful.
- Different tomatoes have different tartness. If your tomatoes are very sour, do a taste test and add 1/2 teaspoon of honey/sugar at a time and adjust it until it is to the right sweetness for you.
- Do not substitute black pepper for white pepper. Leave it out if you don’t have it. It is a completely different flavor.
- Double up the ‘Tomato Sauce’ to make more sauce if you like this dish saucier!
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 375 cal
- Sugar: 22 g
- Sodium: 687 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: tomato egg stir fry recipe, Chinese tomato and egg recipe, Chinese food comfort food recipe