My dad’s simple, easy and quick egg fried rice recipe that’s fluffy and coats each grain of rice with egg. Ready in 15 minutes!
- 3 cups rice (preferably cold, day old rice)
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 2–3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oil (for the eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 stalks green onions (finely chopped, added at the end)
- toasted sesame seeds (optional, added at the end)
- Gently break up the day-old rice in a bowl into smaller chunks with your hands and set aside.
- Finely chop up the green onions and set aside
- In a small bowl, add in the eggs, oil, and salt and beat it until it is fluffy and set aside.
Putting it Together
- Heat a large frying pan with a bit of oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add in the rice and cook it for a few minutes. Use your utensil to break up the rice while it is hot. Cook for about 4-6 minutes
- Reduce the heat to low heat
- Push the rice aside in the pan and add in the scrambled egg mix to the pan. Let it sit for about 1-2 seconds and then use your utensil to give it a gentle mix a few times.
- Push the rice on top of the scrambled eggs and gently mix it until each grain is coated (Don’t worry goopy, the egg will cook and dry out in the next steps)
- Set the stove back to medium heat
- Continue to toss and mix the rice until the egg is cooked and evenly distributed with the rice. The fried rice should look dry and not goopy and mushy. Cook for approximately 5 minutes. If the rice still looks mushy, continue to cook it until the heat dries out the eggs.
- Add in the soy sauce and mix well to evenly distribute it
- Turn off the heat and add in the green onions and mix it for 1 minute so that the residual heat cooks it.
- Serve it as a side dish and enjoy!
- Use day old, cold rice for the best textured fried rice (not mushy.) If you are pressed for time, make a batch of fresh rice but use less water to cook it so that it is drier but make sure you let it cool before using it.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 421 kcal
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 1334 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: egg fried rice recipe, fried rice recipe