A grilled halloumi cheese recipe, marinated in a spiced basil chili oil and finished off with maple syrup to give it an extra layer of flavour that makes that squeaky grilled cheese even more satisfying than before!
- 1 block of halloumi cheese (approx. 280g)
Spiced Basil Chili Marinade
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approximately half a lemon)
- 1 shallot (or 1/4 small red onion)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- Leftover marinade (approximately 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Slices the halloumi cheese 1 cm thick. Put it in a bowl and set aside.
Making the Marinade
- Combine all the ingredients from the Marinade list in a blender or food processor
- Pour the marinade over the sliced cheese and gentle coat so they are all evenly coated.
- Marinade for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Set the grill to 400F-450F and oil the grates well.
- When the grill is hot, add the cheese onto the grates (make sure there isn’t too much marinade on the cheese when you put it on the grill)
- Grill them for approximately 2-4 minutes a side or until you see grill marks. (Use a metal spatula and scrape gently below the cheese to loosen it off the grill before flipping it)
- Remove from grill when there are grill marks on both sides and the cheese is slightly melted
- Set on serving plate
Making the Dipping Sauce
- In a small sauce pan, add the leftover marinade, 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes until it is hot.
- Pour into a small bowl and serve it with the grilled halloumi! 🙂 Enjoy
- Be careful with the grilling fumes, the chili flakes over a hot grill makes for a very hard to breathe smoke! 🙂
- It’s important to oil the grate well before adding the cheese
- The cheese may stick to the BBQ grate. I find it was easiest using a metal spatula to gently scrape below the cheese to loose it up gently before flipping it.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of cheese
- Calories: 133 cal
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 820 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: grilled cheese recipes, grilled halloumi recipes, halloumi recipes