My Ultimate Super Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe that is super duper crispy, juicy and the batter never falls off the chicken so each bite is crispy to the end!
- 4 Chicken Legs (Separated into drums and thighs to make 8 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 8 cups of water
- 2–3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2–3 bay leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup potato starch (or corn starch, but it won’t be as crispy)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional – add more for a spicier chicken)
- 1/4 cup “Dry Mix” (above)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup ice water (water must be cold)
- In a large bowl, combine all the brine ingredients.
- If you are using chicken legs, separate the drums from the thighs so that it becomes 8 pieces of chicken.
- Add the chicken to the brine and let it sit for a minimum of 4 hours in the fridge or room temperature. (If you keep it in the fridge to brine, bring it out to room temperature 1 hour before you are ready to prep it so you are not dealing with super cold chicken, which can drop the oil temperature during deep frying.)
Making the Dry Mix
- In a large Tupperware or bowl, combine all the ingredients of the “Dry Mix” from the ingredient list and set aside.
- (Optional) If you want a more textured crispy batter, add 2-3 tablespoons of the ‘Wet Batter’ into the dry mix work it into the mix with your fingers until you get a slightly clumpier damp dry mix.
Making the Wet Batter
- Scoop out 1/2 cup of the dry mix into a separate bowl and mix in the ingredients from the “Wet Batter” list and set aside.
Battering The Chicken
- Once the chicken has brined for a few hours remove it from the brine and dry it out VERY WELL with paper towel.
- Pour the “Dry Mix” into a tupperware or a bag and put in a few chicken in at a time and shake the bag/tupperware to dust the chicken with it.
- Make sure you remove any excess dry mix from the chicken. You want a very light dusting on the initial flouring. Set the chicken in a single layer aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to re-mix the wet batter (it may have settled and separated)
- Dunk one piece of chicken into the wet batter.
- Add the wet chicken piece back into the “Dry Mix” and completely cover the chicken in the mix.
- Use your hand and press the dry mix into the chicken and squeeze the chicken. Remove the chicken from the dry mix and shake out the flour to create the nooks and crannies.
- Remove the chicken from the dry mix and set it in a single layer and let it rest for 10-15 minutes – this will allow the batter to stick to the chicken better.
- Repeat the above steps 5, 6, 7 and 8 for every chicken piece.
Deep Frying the Chicken
- Fill a cast iron pan or deep fryer with oil and set the temperature to 350F (177C)
- Once the oil is hot (you can do a test if it’s hot enough by sticking a wooden chopstick or wooden spoon into it to see if it bubbles) add in the chicken slowly. Do not overcrowd the pan, you don’t want the oil temperature to drop. You may need to cook this in a few batches.
- Cook the chicken for 15-20 minutes
- Once it has cooked for 15-20 minutes, remove it from the oil and let it rest on a rack, newspaper or parchment paper for a few minutes before digging in.
- Enjoy! 🙂
- For the brine, switch up the spices you add in there and have some fun with it! 🙂
- When you are coating your chicken in the dry mix, and you notice the batter making the dry mix clumpy – this is a good thing! You can run your fingers through the mix and smush the clumps to break them back down into smaller bits – these bits will be added textures for the crispy chicken.
- After you finish deep frying your chicken, it’s best to rest the chicken on newspaper, a cookie rack or parchment paper. Try not to use paper towel, the heat causes a bit of steam between the chicken and the wet paper towel.
- Serving Size: 1 Piece of Chicken
- Calories: 350 cal
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 503 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: crispy fried chicken recipe, fried chicken recipe, fried chicken, extra crispy fried chicken