Sweet & tangy pickled daikon radish recipe with a crisp crunch! Quick & easy to make and requires no heat, just a refrigerator!
- 1 small daikon radish
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 clove garlic (Optional)
- 1-2 birdseye chili (Optional)
Preparing the Daikon Radish
- Wash and peel the daikon radish
- Cut the daikon radish to the shape you prefer. (thin match sticks, thick sticks or cubes). and put it in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt and massage it into the freshly cut radish. Let the radish sit for 15 minutes while it draws out the bitter water.
- Once 15 minutes is up, rinse the daikon well with cold water and set aside
Making the Brine
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the ingredients under the ‘Vinegar Brine’ and set aside. Taste the vinegar solution to see if it is sweet or tart enough for your preference.
- (Optional) Peel and smash 1 clove of garlic to flatten it and release the juices and put it in the brine
Putting it Together
- Add the daikon radish into glass jars and cover with vinegar brine until the daikon is fully submerged in it. If you want it garlicky or spicy, add in the optional smashed garlic and whole chili peppers into the jars as well.
- Seal well and let it sit in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably 24 hours.
- Add a slice of beet for pink coloured pickles! A little beet goes a long way, a small slice of it will be more than enough.
- You can also add carrots in addition to the daikon radish to this recipe as well.
- If you need more pickle juice, double the pickle juice portion of the recipe
- You can store these for up to 2 months, but they taste best within a month
- Serving Size: 1 Jar
- Calories: 210 kcal
- Sugar: 48 g
- Sodium: 4006 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: pickled daikon