A recipe for a simple, deliciously buttery middle eastern vermicelli rice dish made with toasted vermicelli pasta bits and white rice.
- 1 1/4 cup of long grain rice
- 1/2 cup vermicelli pasta
- 2 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 onion [optional]
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water is clear. Soak the rice for no less than 30 minutes
- Once the rice has finished soaking, drain it and set it aside. The rice should look less translucent and somewhat opaque.
- Heat up a pot on medium heat with the oil
- (Optional) Add the onions in and brown it
- Add in the butter and the vermicelli pasta and toast it for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to watch it, they burn easily
- Once the vermicelli pasta is brown, add in the rice and salt in the pot and mix well with the vermicelli pasta to coat it with the remainder of the butter.
- Add in the water and let it come to up to a boil. Once it is simmering turn the heat down to low and give it one quick stir and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes with the lid on. It is important to keep the lid on at this point so that the rice cooks properly.
- After the rice is done, try one of the grains of rice to make sure it has cooked all the way through. If it hasn’t continue to cook it for 1-2 more minutes.
- When it is done, turn off the heat and remove the pot off the burner and set it aside. Keep the lid on the pot and let it steam for about 20 minutes undisturbed.
- After 20 minutes has passed, remove the lid and fluff it gently with a fork and serve it! 🙂
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 382 kcal
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 64 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vermicelli rice