Crispy Cheung Fun (Rice Noodle Rolls) + Spicy Hoisin & Maple Sesame Sauce
Super quick and easy crispy rice roll (Cheung Fun) snack slathered with a spicy hoisin sauce drizzled with a toasted maple sesame sauce - Chinese street food style!
Servings: 3 Servings
- 1 package pre-made rice noodle rolls (approximately 12 rolls)
Maple Sesame Paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (can be substituted with honey)
- 2 tablespoons sesame paste (chinese sesame paste, not tahini, see notes)
- 1 tablespoon oil (light oils like vegetable, corn or canola oils)
Garnishes & Toppings (Optional)
Making the Sauces
Make the spicy hoisin sauce by combining the ingredients in the list
Make the maple sesame sauce by combining the ingredients in the list. If the sauce is too thick, add a flavourless oil (canola, vegetable, corn oil) ½ tablespoon at a time and mix until it is the right smooth and thin consistency you like.
Crisping the Rice Noodle Rolls (Cheung Fun)
Remove the rolls from the packaging and separate them into individual sticks. Cut them into small 1 inch pieces.
(Optional Step) Microwave them for 15-20 seconds to soften them up. This will shave off 1-2 minutes off the crisping time in the frying pan.
Add a bit of oil into a frying pan or cast iron skillet and set the heat to medium heat
When the pan is hot, add the rolls and toast them in a single layer so they don't stick and clump together
Make sure to flip them so they are crispy on both sides
Every stove and heat setting will be different, you will know it's done when it is soft when you press down on them and charred and crispy out the outside
Drizzle (or drown) the rolls with sauce and enjoy! Save some sauce on the side for dipping!
- Try not to touch or flip them too often when they are toasting. It will give it a better chance to char and brown
- Do not substitute Chinese toasted sesame paste with tahini - it does not taste the same. You can substitute sesame paste with natural unsweetened peanut butter.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 22g | Sodium: 502mg | Sugar: 14g