A super easy, 6-ingredient, sweet and spicy honey sriracha chicken recipe that's sweetened with a sticky honey sriracha sauce! Grilling and oven-roasted instructions are included!
Table of Contents
Whether it's cooked over a grill or roasted in the oven, this spicy honey sriracha chicken dish is one of the easiest ways to feed a crowd or a party of one for any occasion and it tastes absolutely delicious!
I personally like making a big batch of this over the grill in the summertime as a weeknight dinner so I can have leftovers for the rest of the week.
This is a very simple and easy recipe, it's just chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled until it has been fully cooked and then brushed with a sweet sriracha glaze near the end!
The sweet and sticky honey sriracha sauce consists of just 3 ingredients - honey, lime, and sriracha.
If you like sweet and spicy sticky sauces with chicken, then definitely need to try this honey sriracha chicken recipe!
If you're looking for something more grilled, sweet, and savory recipes, then definitely check out my sweet and sticky Chinese bbq pork (Char Siu) recipe and Thai coconut chicken skewer recipe as well, which I love to serve together with this chicken recipe, especially at BBQ get-togethers.
Ingredients for Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Chicken - You can use any cut of chicken meat for this. I personally like to use dark meat (chicken legs, chicken drumsticks, or chicken thighs), but you definitely can use chicken breast for this recipe as well. Alternatively, these also work amazing on chicken wings as well.
- Honey/Maple Syrup - For this recipe, you can use honey or maple syrup. Maple syrup will be slightly less sweet.
- Lime - I like to use lime for this recipe, but I have used lemon juice as well. Both work well.
- Sriracha Chili Sauce - This is the main flavor for this chicken and should not be substituted.
How to Make Sriracha Chicken
Method 1: Roasting it in the Oven
To oven roast chicken, I generally like to use a rack over a pan to give it a bit of airflow between the bottom of the chicken and the pan so that it doesn't sit in its own juices - which I find makes a stickier chicken because the sticky sauce will stick to the chicken better.
If you don't have a rack, you can scrunch up some aluminum foil, un-ravel it loosely, and place it at the bottom of the pan or baking sheet. This will give you a bit more airflow between the pan and the chicken.
Method 2: Grilling the Chicken on the BBQ
Making this on a BBQ is super simple. Heat up your grill to about medium-heat and grill it until it is cooked. It took approximately 45 minutes on my BBQ. Once the chicken is cooked, you can start brushing on the sriracha glaze until you have used up all the glaze and it's done!
How to Serve this Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Chicken
- If I am making it for a crowd for a BBQ or a gathering, I serve it as-is and plate it as a pile of chicken for anyone to freely grab.
- When I make this for myself at home for dinner, I like to serve this with some fried rice , a fried egg (or a soft boiled egg) with some simple greens (usually a quick pan-fried broccoli or bok choy with a bit of garlic!)
- If I am feeling particularly fancy, I will also make some garlic mushrooms to mix in with my white rice as well.
More Chicken Recipes You May Like
Did you Make This Honey Sriracha Chicken Recipe?
If you made this sweet and sticky honey sriracha chicken, I want to see! Follow Pups with Chopsticks on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag and hashtag it with @pupswithchopsticks and #pupswithchopsticks. I love to know what you are making!
Honey Sriracha Chicken
Joyce's Recipe Notes
- You can use any cut of chicken meat for this. I personally like to use dark meat (chicken legs, drumsticks or thighs).
- For this recipe, you can use honey or maple syrup. Maple syrup will be slightly less sweet.
- I like to use lime for this recipe, but I have used lemon juice as well. Both work well.
Sweet & Sticky Sriracha Glaze
- green onions finely chopped
- toasted sesame seeds
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons honey, 3 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce, 2 tablespoons water, and 1 tablespoon lime juice to create a glaze and set aside.
- Pre-heat the grill on medium heat.
- Grill chicken for about 45 mins or until meat juices run clear
- Once the chicken is cooked, brush the sriracha glaze onto the chicken. Every 1 minute, brush on more glaze, then flip the chicken. Repeat this until all the glaze has been used. Keep an eye out on it to make sure it doesn't burn! The sugars in the sauce burns quickly from the BBQ heat
- Once the chicken is done, set it aside and let it rest for 5 minutes before digging in!
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Place the chicken in a oven safe pan on top of a rack. If you don't have a rack, scrunch up a few sheets of foil and gently un-ravel it and place it on the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken on top of the textured foil.
- Cook chicken for 25 minutes and flip it
- Cook for another 35 minutes
- Once the chicken is cooked, brush the sriracha glaze onto the chicken. Every 2-3 minute, brush on more glaze, then flip the chicken. Repeat this until all the glaze has been used.
- Remove chicken from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes
- Garnish with sesame seeds or green onions, and enjoy!
*Nutritional information is calculated using online tools and is an estimate*
Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I always appreciate the support but if possible, please buy your items locally if possible to support your local shops (and chances are they are cheaper locally as well!)