These homemade cheese spring rolls are super easy to make and loaded with crab and creamy cheese – includes step by step guide on rolling spring rolls too! A great bite sized party snack or seafood appetizer.
I think snacks for lunch or dinner is a great idea. Especially when you just want to chill in front of the TV for a lazy evening, finger foods is a must and it had to be addictive. Cheese wontons are addictive. You know the kind you get at sushi restaurants? but I wanted something that had more cheesy filling with a bit more substance – in comes spring rolls.
…and don’t worry about not knowing how to roll spring rolls, it’s a lot easier than you think. After rolling a few, you’ll be a pro at it and you’ll see how easy it actually is. 🙂
For this homemade crab and cheese spring roll recipe, all the ingredients can all be found at your local grocery store.
You may have some trouble finding the spring roll paper (I know I did), but grocery stores almost always have it, they just hide it well in the fridges/freezers.
You can substitute white vinegar with the rice vinegar if you don’t have it but white vinegar has a much stronger tang, so add a pinch of sugar to tone that down.
Chop up the crab, grate the mozzarella and finely dice the garlic and green onion and combine all the ingredients together. I like to hand shred the crab meat so they are in long stringy form, for more texture.
Tip #1 : Leave the cream cheese in room temperature an hour before making this. This makes the cheese softer and easier to mix all the ingredients in evenly.
When you are working with the spring roll papers, make sure they are covered with a damp cloth, or they will dry out. I find that pre-peeling a few at ahead of time makes the rolling flow a bit easier and faster.
Same goes with the wrapped homemade spring rolls, if you don’t plan to fry them right away, cover them with a damp cloth or paper towel to keep it from drying out.
To seal the homemade spring rolls you can use water, but not all spring roll papers are created equally so if you are finding that they are not staying sealed then you can also use an egg to seal it as well.Deep fry them on 350F (176C) or medium heat if you are using the stove top for about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
DIPPY DIP DIP?
These homemade crab and cheese spring rolls go fantastic with seafood sauce, sounds weird but it works! Something to do with the crab meat being seafood! 😉
We also had these with sweet thai chilli sauce and the slightly spicy sweet sauce accompanied the cheesiness like magic!
I need more snack ideas like these homemade crab and cheese spring rolls for dinner! Let me know what you make or eat when you’re feeling like it’s going to be a snacky lunch/dinner type of day! and tag us with #pupswithchopsticks if you make this! We love hearing from you!
These homemade cheese spring rolls are loaded with crab and creamy cheese and deep fried for extra crispiness. A great bite sized party snack or appetizer.
- 15–20 spring roll paper
- 2 cups imitation crab meat (chopped or shredded)
- 250g cream cheese – soften (1 package)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2–3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 3–4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2–3 stalks green onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- Leave the cream cheese in room temperature for an hour to soften
- Once the cream cheese is soft, mix in the mozzarella, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, rice vinegar and sugar
- Chop or shred the crab meat and mix it into the cheese mixture
- Mince the garlic and finely chop the green onions and add it into the cheese mixture
Rolling the Spring Rolls
- Carefully peel 1 sheet at a time, place the sheet in front o you with a corner facing you. (Place a damn cloth or paper towel over the stack of spring roll papers to prevent it from drying out while you are rolling out the spring rolls)
- Add a few spoonfuls of crab and cheese mixture near the bottom of the paper (but away from all edges) into a log shape.
- Start rolling from the bottom, then take 1 side from the left or right and fold it into the center while rolling.
- Then take the other side on the left or right side and fold it into the center and continue to roll
- Wet the top corner with water or egg (which will be the glue to seal the spring roll) and keep rolling until all the paper is sealed.
- Put aside covered with a damp cloth or paper towel and continue making the rest of the spring rolls
- Heat up the oil to 350F (176C), and fry them for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- f you are deep frying these on a stove top in a pot, use medium heat and keep a close eye on them, when they turn golden brown pull them out. They still continue to cook after they have been pulled out of the oil.
- Enjoy! 🙂
- If your spring rolls don’t stay sealed with water, another option is to use an egg to seal it
- Keep the spring roll papers and spring rolls covered with a damp cloth or paper towel so they don’t dry out before cooking
- Leave the cream cheese out in room temperature for at least an hour to soften it up, this will make the mixing it a lot easier.
- Optional Dipping Sauces : Seafood sauce or Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 Spring Roll
- Calories: 110 kcal
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 290 mg
- Fat: 110
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: cheese spring rolls, crab spring rolls, party appetizers